About the program
This weeklong, virtual course does two things:
1) It creates the space and time to explore a topic, idea, theme, or subject of exploration, of your choice. This could be a work of art, an experience, a big question, or something else entirely. What matters is that this topic matters to you.
2) In writing about your topic through accumulative, scaffolded in-class writing sessions and workshops—as well as through outside individualized consultations with the instructor—you will learn how to interest a reader in your topic, and walk away with a set of transportable skills and strategies about how to make writing work for you.
By thinking about writing as a form of experimentation—with its own hypotheses, processes, and communities—you will be able to explore your ideas, find your words, and as a result, your writing process. You’ll come away from the class with a polished, dynamic piece of writing and an excitement about the whole process!
This course will meet each day from 10:00AM -12:00PM (Monday-Friday) and require an internet connection and access to Zoom. The instructor will have 1:1 sessions with each student to offer personal feedback.
Skills you will learn
- Understand the writing process - and how to tailor it to your own writing
- Learn about genres of creative nonfiction writing
- Learn how to give and receive thoughtful feedback
- Learn about audience and rhetorical intention
- Set and achieve writing-specific goals
Please note: All information is subject to change at the discretion of UVA Northern Virginia.